About ten percent of dog allergies are food based.
When we adopted our zombie fighting warrior princess we got sent home with some food from the shelter and her stomach was having none of it. The vet put her on a bland wet diet, we tried to reintroduce other foods into her diet but she just kept getting sick--and being sick made her lethargic and an overall sad puppy.
When we finally figured out it was diet related and removed grain from her food Mimi became...Mimi. Crazy energetic, loving and hyper-curious.
And that brings us back to Mimi's birthday party post where we created a yummy array of treats for her and hers friends, kept them grain free but hungry dog approved.
So that means it's time for another yummy grain free dog treat (and a bonus treat). This one I actually took a nibble of myself, much to my husbands disgust (even though he rationally understood every ingredient the idea of eating a dog treat just got to him). The cranberry treat was by far Mimi's favorite and much like the carrot treat was super simple to make.
1 Banana, mashed
1 tablespoon Milk
1 cup Buckwheat Flour
1/4 cup dried Cranberries
1/2 tablespoon Vanilla Extract
Splash of Cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
2. In a large bowl mix all ingredients one at a time, kneading well after each addition.
3. Once dough is well mixed roll dough into 1/4 inch balls and place them a inch apart onto the prepared baking sheet.
4. Press down on the tops. I, again, used a fork to give it more of a design.
5. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Cool and refrigerate.
Enjoy the Cranberry Snaps and let me know what you think. (That's two recipes that I've posted now? Granted they are dog treat recipes. Maybe I should try posting some human ones...)